Sunday, July 15, 2007

Paragliding Adventure--April 2007

You might think you are dreaming when you see these pictures. Imagine how we must have felt soaring in this natural environment. Here's a selection of photos to take you along on our sky adventure. It was quite an unexpected birthday ride.

We took a train to the smaller town of Brunnen (across from Zug), where we were met by one of the men who were going to fly with us. We chose our special shoes, which you will see, took a 4-person cable car up the mountain. You can see the view we beheld. We took a small hike to our jumping off point. They layed out the parachutes, we got our flying gear on, and signed away our lives. Next they checked the wind by looking at the flutter of the flag and other markers. It had to be blowing in the right direction. They almost decided they would have to hike to the other side of the mountain. I wasn't entirely keen on that as it would have been a long hike and I guess not as beautiful a view.

I flew with the master instructor. He was very talented and even took me on a paragliding roller coaster ride of sorts. We were lifted off the mountain in a matter of three steps, literally. Then, we spiralled upwards, very high according to James who was always below me. I took a short movie clip of the panoramic spin in the sky. For the roller coaster part of it, the instructor who was hooked behind me pulled the cords to soar quickly around one way and then back to the other side. I was instructed to look the direction we were moving and not to look down too frequently. The view was amazing as you can see. We soared over the lake and could have landed on the other side in time for tea at the restaurant across the way.

After about 45 minutes in the air, we landed in another 3 steps as easy and light as lifting off--like walking on air. James soon followed after. The pictures you see of him landing were taken by my flying guide because standing on solid ground had made me sick immediately. I was instructed to take deep breaths and he told me it happens to many people. He grabbed my camera and captured James' landing. James said it was not so smooth of a landing, but he had a great time. This will be something I will never forget. If you ever want to paraglide, I don't think you will find any place more beautiful.

No comments: